No cure has yet been found for the common cold, despite ho common it is. However, one can always cure the irritating common cold by being attentive to its symptoms and curing them at the beginning stage. But what are the symptoms of cold? Here are few-
- Blocked nose
- Cough (with or without phlegm)
- Body pains
- Burning throat
- Watery eyes- itchiness or redness
- Sinus pressure
- Head congestion
- Swollen lymph nodes
The human kind is lucky that majority of these symptoms can be cured by over the counter pills or at home remedies. Here is a list of over the counter pills to cure common cold symptoms-
- Blocked nose- For blocked nose, here are nasal sprays available or vaporizer can be used to decongest it. Some of the medicines that can help a blocked nose are- oxymetazoline nasal, phenylephrine nasal, phenylephrine oral.
- Cough- Cough is your body’s way of throwing out the phlegm that causes congestion in your lung. Cough medicines can however help you if you are facing difficulties while sleeping or working due to the cough. The most common over the counter medicine for coughs are Benadryl (for dry and wet cough), Triaminic Cold and Cough, Robitussin Cough.
- Body pains- Body pains are some of the most severe symptoms of colds, but they can be cured with the help of a few over the counter medicines such as Tylenol, Aleve, and Aspirin.
- Congestion- This usually occurs in the night and can be cured by rubbing of creams like Vicks on the chest area and the nose for instant relief.
Apart from these over the counter medicines, common cold symptoms can also be cured by home remedies. Here is a list of home remedies that work effectively on common cold symptoms-
- Milk and turmeric- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder in hot milk and drink it every day twice while hot, to ensure relief from common cold symptoms and also good health.
- Soup- Consume hot soup in regular intervals to relieve your nose from blocking and also clear throat congestion.
- Vitamin C- Eat food with a lot of vitamin C like citrus fruits, leafy greens to reduce the severity of the symptoms.
- Eucalyptus oil- Rub eucalyptus oil around your nose to relieve serious congestion in the nose areas and inflammation of sinus. If the congestion is not very severe, drop a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a napkin and keep inhaling it from time to time for fast relief.
- Gargle- To reduce throat burning and irritation in the throat gargle lukewarm water mixed ith salt for instant relief.
- Vaporizer- Make your own vaporizer at home from boiling water and inhale the warm vapor emerging from the water. For extra relief, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or a teaspoon of vicks in the boiling water.